Software Product Management Training Level 2.0
Being a software product manager is a tough job. You are the driver between the external market opportunities and the internal organizational units. You are a “mini CEO” responsible for managing the software business model with the objective of achieving sustainable success over the life cycle of your company’s products.
Software Engineering Leadership (SEL) is one of the key roles in digital service and platform business. The Software Product Management (SPM) is strategic role translating Software Product Management (SPM) excellence is recognized as a key success factor for modern digital service, platform and software organizations – both in industries delivering software as a product, software as a service (SaaS), digital platforms, digital systems or software embedded in other products.
Tieto- ja viestintätekniikan ammattilaiset TIVIA ry (The Finnish Information Processing Association) will be organizing training for Software Product Managers in Finland based on the Foundation Level syllabus developed by the International Software Product Management Association (ISPMA), an international group of independent software experts.
At the end of the last training day, participants can optionally undergo the exam for the ”ISPMA Certified Software Product Manager Foundation Level” certificate (exam fee € 250,- plus tax).
The interactive and intensive training is delivered in a 3-day-course and covers the full spectrum of SPM responsibilities and activities. A software product manager is responsible for managing a product throughout the product life cycle with the objective of achieving sustainable economic success. He/she owns the business case of a product across its different versions, variants and associated services. This training is based on version 2.0 of the SPM Foundation Level syllabus.
Acting as a “mini CEO” he/she represents an enterprise or business unit in strategy formulation and its operational realization to CIO/CDO Office. SPM includes work with architecture, key objectives management, requirements, release definitions, product release lifecycles, the creation and interpretation of product strategies, balancing long-term technology push with shorter-term market-pull, and assuring a winning business case by selecting the right requirements for realization at an appropriate price. The software product manager needs to coordinate all units within the company that are relevant for the success of the product.
- CEO’s in digital or platform business
- CIO’s and CDO’s in change of digital service and platform business development and transformation roadmap
- Digital service managers interested in getting a broader perspective on the role and becoming certified product managers
- Platfrom business owners interested in getting a broader perspective on the role and becoming certified product managers
- Product owners interested in getting a broader perspective on the role and becoming certified product managers
- New product managers interested in getting a broader perspective on the role and becoming certified product managers
- Scrum product owners interested in a broader perspective on managing software products
- Experienced product managers interested in understanding product management based on a comprehensive, industry-standard framework
- Engineering professionals like developers, architects and development leadership interested in understand the business side of product development
The course participants must have a fundamental understanding of the software business, but the course requires no specific technical or commercial competencies.
- Participants / ISPMA
- Intro to training and exam
1. Introduction and Foundations
- Software as a Business
- Relevant terms, role, objectives
- Software Product Management Overview & Framework
2. Product Strategy
- Role and Elements of Product Strategy and their Interdependencies
- Product Name
- Positioning and Product Definition
- Delivery Model and Service Strategy
- Financial Management
- Ecosystem Management
- Legal and IPR Management
- Performance and Risk Management
3. Product Planning
- Product Planning Approaches
- Customer Insight
- Product Requirements Engineering
- Release Planning
- Product Life Cycle Management
4. Strategic Management
- Strategic Management Essentials
- Corporate Strategy
- Portfolio Management
- Innovation Management
- Resource Management
- Compliance Management
- Market Analysis
- Product Analysis
5. Orchestration of Functional Areas
- Sales and Fulfillment
- Delivery Services and Support
- The Role of SPM as Orchestrator
6. Wrap Up
7. Certification Exam (optional)
Hans-Bernd Kittlaus is an internationally renowned expert on SPM. He has been working as a trainer and a consultant for software organizations such as Samsung, SimCorp, big and small software and internet organizations and corporate IT organizations in a number of different industries. Before this, he was head of SPM and development units of IBM. He is the chairman of ISPMA, and has published numerous articles and books. In spring 2017, Springer will also publish his new book ”Software Product Management: The ISPMA-Compliant Study Guide and Handbook”.
Hans-Bernd Kittlaus has done a number of SPM-related webinars. You can find them here.
”Participating in this training was an excellent way to learn more about SPM. The very comprehensive contents in combination with the Hans-Bernd Kittlaus’ wealth of practical experience provided highly useful information, in particular on the pitfalls of introducing SPM in an organization.”
”This was an excellent training that combined well-structured contents with good discussions, valuable practical advice and some fun exercises. It gave me an enhanced understanding of my SPM role and a lot of input that continues to help me in my daily work. The trainer Hans-Bernd Kittlaus managed to create a pleasant atmosphere and cover a lot of ground without overwhelming the participants.”
”I participated in the SPM training together with two of my colleagues from Blancco. We had already attended a different training the previous year, but the ISPMA-based training was much better. The contents of the training was more comprehensive and structured and contained practical advice from the trainer, Hans-Bernd Kittlaus, based on his extensive experience in the industry. We now have many ideas that we can implement to improve our current work environment.”
TIVIA member price is for person members and also for the staff of company members.
Normal Price TIVIA member 2500 € + VAT 24%
Normal Price Non-member 3300 € + VAT 24%
Early Bird price TIVIA Member 2000€ + VAT 24%
Early Bird price non-member 2700€ + VAT 24%
Certification Exam 250€ + VAT 24%
At the end of the third training day, participants can optionally undergo the exam for the ”ISPMA Certified Software Product Manager Foundation Level” certificate (exam fee € 250,- plus tax).
Price includes: course participation, course material and meals during the day (morning coffee, lunch, afternoon coffee).
If you are not already a member of TIVIA, JOIN NOW (membership fees from 65 €) and pay TIVIA member price for this course!
Cancellation Policy: You may cancel your registration up to 30 days before the training, after that the cancellation fee is 50 % of the participation fee. If the registration has not been cancelled, we will charge the whole course fee. Early bird registration cannot be cancelled. The right to participate can be transferred to another person. You may cancel or modify your registration via e-mail: ilmoittaudu(at)tivia.fi